Design Manager Minimum Hardware Requirements
(Use For: Desktop Versions of Design Manager Professional 7.0 R3 and Design Manager 2011)
Stand-alone Computer (Single User), Network Workstation, or Peer-to-Peer Network (2 - 5 users)
- 1 gigahertz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor running Windows 7 (any version), Windows 8.1 and 10 - Pro 7R3 ONLY (DM2011 not supported on Windows 8.1 or 10). Latest service packs and updates should be installed on all operating systems. Windows Server 2008/2008R2 can be used as workstation for Pro 7.0 R3, but not for DM2011.
- 1 gigabyte (GB) of RAM for 32 bit (x86) or 2 GB for 64-bit (x64). Install takes about 1 GB hard drive space.
- 17” or large monitor recommended (1024 x 768 or widescreen).
- Peer-to-peer Network: Computer with shared drive must have the most robust operating system. Operating systems are listed from most robust to least: Windows Server 2012 (file share only), Server 2008 R2, Server 2008, Windows 8.1 and 10 - Pro 7R3 ONLY (DM2011 not supported on Windows 8.1 or 10), Windows 7 (latest service packs and updates should be installed on all operating systems). Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mbit/s) or equivalent speed network. Wireless networks are not acceptable.
Dedicated Server (5 - 8 users, Pro 7.0 R3 only)
- 1 gigahertz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
- 1 GB of RAM for 32 bit (x86) or 2 GB for 64-bit (x64). Installation takes about 1 GB hard drive space.
- Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mbit/s) or equivalent speed network. Wireless networks are not acceptable. To use a wireless network, please use a Terminal/RDP/Citrix Server or use DM Cloud.
- Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 / SBS 2011 / 2012 (with latest service packs/updates) x86 or x64.
Dedicated Remote Desktop Server or Terminal Server/RDS (8 - 64 users) - Design Manager Pro 7.0 Hosted on RDS/Citrix XenApp Server
- 2 gigahertz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor per each 20-25 users (1 user equals 1 application instance). Distinct processors are recommended (i.e.: for 50 users not just a single dual or quad core but 2 distinct processors, Intel Xeon or equivalent is recommended).
- 4 GB of RAM for 32 bit (x86) or 8 GB for 64-bit (x64) for first 10 to 15 users plus 2 GB for each additional 8-10 users. X64 is required for configurations that require more than 4 GB of RAM.
- A SCSI hard drive RAID system is recommended for configurations with more than a single processor (i.e. over 25-30 users). The hard drives should be local to the server, not a NAS device or remote drive on another server.
- 10 Mbit/s Ethernet or equivalent speed network. Stable wireless and remote connections will work fine since all application instances will be running on the Terminal Server.
- Windows Server 2008/2008 R2 (x86 or x64) running Remote Desktop Services or with Citrix XenApp 5.0 or higher (Small Business Server will not work).
- All printers and other peripherals must have compatible TS/RDP/Citrix certified drivers for the chosen Windows Server operating system. Note that this is not a requirement of DM but a requirement of any application running on a Terminal Server/RDS/XenApp Server.
- Note that these requirements do not consider other usage for the same server such as a TS/Citrix License Server, Domain Controller, Print Server, SQL Server etc. It is recommended that such roles are implemented on separate servers.
- Workstation requirements can be greatly reduced because they need only to support the Terminal Server/RDP or Citrix Receiver.
Design Manager Pro 7.0 R3 for SQL Server (Any number of users).
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (x86 or x64 version), 2008 R2 or 2012 (x64 only).
- Each workstation must meet Stand-alone requirements (above) and use a wired Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mbit/s) network connection. A combination of SQL Server and Terminal Services/RDS or Citrix can be used to facilitate remote offices or workstations that require a wireless or slower network connection.
- See here and Microsoft.com for information on choosing the proper version of SQL Server and for the hardware requirements for SQL Server itself.
- *Note: The SQL Server 2012 Native Client cannot be loaded on to a 32bit OS. If a mix of workstations are to access an SQL 2012 server, the SQL 2008 Native Client must be used on all workstations.
Optional Requirements (required by some functions).
- A fax service that supports an email address for sending faxes is required for automatic faxing of Purchase Orders. For example: eFax, Metrofax.
- Microsoft Office™ 2003 to 2010 (the full version of Microsoft Outlook is required for emailing/Outlook sync features). Problems may occur when using versions of Office newer than 2010.
- TWAIN compatible scanner.
- Additional hard drive space will be needed as the database and picture data grows.